Saturday, April 17, 2021

The Sumo Brotherhood : Help those around you!

 One of the things that strikes you when you join the sumo community is the warm reception you get as a newcomer and the willingness of the more experienced to give you a helping hand. This is apparent at every tournament you go to. I remember my first tournament, fellow lightweight Justin Kizzart coached me before and after some of my matches. Even though I represented a potential threat as I was unknown to him, he was more than willing to help the new guy. 

I think this spirit is one that we must hang on to in the sport as long as we can. Many other sports seem to be driven by people with giant egos and bad attitudes. We are lucky in that most people in Sumo are here for the camaraderie as much as the competition. I think this helps us in the long run because the only way we are going to be competitive Internationally is to stand together as American Sumo Wrestlers and make everyone around us better. Because if you can't cut it as an individual, maybe you can help someone else cut it. And maybe that person goes on to win a medal at worlds. 

 Now I'm not suggesting we all lose our competitive edge. Do whatever you need to do. But never be so into your own ego that you can't lend a helping hand to those around you. 

I had the privilege of practicing with Dark Circle Sumo in Austin Texas after a dismal performance at the tournament. I was pretty discouraged but at practice, Justin was able to refocus my attention on the details and helped me realize that I can do it. I have the tools, I just need to sharpen them. His excitement for me to do well is something we could all learn from. 



No comments:

Post a Comment